Walking Stars aims to do two things: spread hope for a cancer free future and raise vital funds to help make that a reality.
While there is no fundraising minimum for Walking Stars, every dollar you raise brings us closer to a cancer free future. It all adds up and has a life-changing impact on cancer patients and those around them.
Here are a few reasons why we encourage it:
Fundraising makes you feel good
Being part of a bigger purpose is incredible, as is the sense of accomplishment you’ll get from seeing what a clear impact you’ve made.
Your funds will help at a crucial time
Cancer Council Victoria needs your help.
Calls to our nurses at the 13 11 20 information and support line quadrupled amid the pandemic. Many cancer patients and their loved ones continue to face unique and unexpected challenges due to COVID-19, even when lockdown restrictions are lifted. Plus, investment into cancer research across Australia has been threatened due to the economic climate. But cancer never rests, so neither do we.
Your fundraising can help people facing cancer at a time when they are more vulnerable than ever. We’ve been humbled by the generosity of Victorians and their willingness to support one another during the pandemic – and we think you’ll experience this support too.
There’s no limit to how you fundraise, nor is there a limit to how much you can fundraise, so have some fun with it! Get creative, plan COVID-safe events and get your family and friends involved. Walking 21km already makes you a star; this extra step will make you shine even brighter.
We’ll provide you with lots of resources and tips to help your fundraising along the way.
Fundraising is rewarding! Not just for the feel-good factor because you’ve helped people facing cancer when they need it most, but also because we will reward you for being an absolute star.
Earn your stripes by reaching these levels and you’ll be rewarded with an achievement badge on your profile and some goodies to boot:
Hey there! Become an All Star by reaching $250 in your fundraising. You’ll receive:
- Your All Star badge in your fundraising profile
- a 110ml Cancer Council 50+SPF Moisturising Sunscreen to keep you SunSmart while you walk
- AND a glow of satisfaction, knowing you’ve helped our cancer nurses provide support and information via 13 11 20 to anyone touched by cancer
Shoot for the stars and achieve Shooting Star status by reaching $500 in in your fundraising. You’ll receive:
- Your Shooting Star badge in your fundraising profile
- An exclusive Walking Stars 100% cotton tee to wear while you walk
- And a sparkle in your step knowing you’ve raised funds that are helping researchers improve the ways we prevent and detect cancers to help save lives
Join the ranks of those that need only one name and little introduction: Madonna, Beyonce, Gaga… in our eyes at least! Raise an incredible $1,000 to achieve Super Star status. You’ll receive our unwavering adoration PLUS:
- Your Super Star badge for your profile
- A ticket for the Walking Stars 2021 event in Alexandra Gardens
- Entry in the draw to win one of three $500 Coles Myer gift cards for a shopping spree
- And the radiance of a super star – knowing that you’ve helped equip a lab of researchers working on new cancer treatments
Where would we be without our teams to support us? This year we have something extra special – to thank our amazing top fundraising teams – and also unite them whether you’re walking together or apart.
Raise $3,000 through your team profile to receive CUSTOM PRINTED Walking Stars 100% cotton tees, printed with your team name on the back!
When your team is close to reaching this incredible milestone, a Walking Stars representative will be in touch with your captain to confirm sizing and exact wording for your team name. (There will be a maximum of six custom tees per team).