Download the Walking Stars app from the Apple or Google Play store and create an account.
Input your access code found in your registration confirmation email.
Join as an individual or as part of your Walking Stars fundraising team.
Prepare your device. Check your loaction settings and phone settings.
Log your training in the lead up to the event. Unlock new starry selfie filters as you progress through the three-month training plan.
Walk 21km on 4 Dec to fundraise for a cancer free future. Do it all at once or split it up!
Use the progress bar to see how you're tracking. You'll unlock two new face filters along the way!
Check the leaderboards to see how you and your team are doing.
Cross the finish line and receive a personalised virtual medal.
How do I login to my Walking Stars account on the Walking Stars app?
- First, make sure you have registered for Walking Stars at walkingstars.cancervic.org.au.
- Download the Walking Stars app from Google Play or the App Store.
- Create a log in for the app (separate to the details you entered when registering for Walking Stars). Log in with your Facebook or Google accounts or sign up with an email and password (you can choose the same password as your fundraising dashboard if you’d like). Once you’ve registered to the app and logged in, you won’t need to do it again.
- To connect your Walking Stars account to the app – input your access code that you can find in your registration confirmation email.
What phone and app settings do I need to activate to make sure the app works properly?
- Ensure you have a smartphone with the latest version of the Walking Stars app.
- Make sure your battery is fully charged.
- Ensure your phone is NOT in low power mode.
- Ensure your GPS / location is turned on.
- Ensure your location settings for the app are on, and set to ‘always allow’ to ensure your location can accurately track during your activity
Do I need to use the Walking Stars app to take part in the challenge?
For the most interactive and fun experience, we recommend using the Walking Stars app to complete the 21km walking challenge on 4 December – even if your taking part in the physical event! You can log the 21kms in one big session, or over several sessions on 4 December totalling 21kms. The app will keep track of your total progress on the home screen counter bar.
You can also complete the 21km walking challenge without recording your kms if you’d prefer. Anyone who completes the 21km challenge to shine bright for people facing cancer is a star in our eyes – and those who fundraise for a cancer free future shine even brighter.
How do I log my 21km on event day?
Open the app and press ‘Start’ in the ‘Walk’ tab. The phone can be locked and put in your pocket during the walk, but you must ensure your location settings for the app are ON and set to ‘always allow’. Press the stop button when you are finished – that’s it!
If you start a walk on the 4 December, the 21km challenge will automatically begin.
If you want to complete the 21km challenge over several walks – press the stop button after you’ve completed each walk – and ‘Start’ again at the beginning of your next one. When you have reached 21km, your activity will automatically end.
For the best experience, check the app during your 21km challenge so you can see some hidden surprises along the way!
What if my phone goes faulty, freezes or its battery drains out and I have to restart the phone after I have clicked ‘Start’? Will the tracking on the Walking Stars App resume or will I have to restart my walk?
When your phone is off, the App stops tracking your distance, but the timer continues to record. When your phone is fully charged and turned on again, you can continue your walk and the App will resume tracking your distance from where it stopped previously.
How do I post a map of my walk/s to the app feed or on social media?
When you complete an activity, you will be prompted to share it to the feed. Add a caption, upload photos from your walk or take a selfie with a fun face filter. Then share to the feed so the rest of the participants can like and comment.
Once you’ve shared your walk in the app feed, find it in the Feed tab under the ‘You’ section. To share the post on social media, click the share button at the bottom of your post and follow the directions.
How do I connect my wearable device to the Walking Stars app?
- Go to the ‘More’ tab in the app and click on ‘Link Wearables’.
- Choose your device and follow the instructions to authorise access for your activity.
- From this point, all the activities you complete through your wearable device will automatically be linked to your Walking Stars profile through the app. This includes updating your leaderboard statistics.
- You can only connect one wearable device. If more than one device is connected, the app will only recognise the activity recorded from the most recently connected device.
- If you start a new activity through the app and your wearable device at the same time, the two results will merge and the GPS information from your wearable device will be used.
My location is not tracking in the app. What should I do?
You must ensure your location settings for the app are ON and set to ‘always allow’ Click the ‘Location Settings’ button in the MORE tab to check on this.
My app crashed/my app is frozen. What should I do?
First, try closing out of your app and restarting. This should take you back to the map view, or back into your current activity. If you are still having issues, uninstall the app, and reinstall the latest version of the app directly from the app store.
What if I experience issues with the app?
If you are experiencing any issues with the app, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org or call 1300 65 65 85.
Why is the app's GPS tracking less accurate than other GPS technologies?
Companies such as Fitbit have very sophisticated GPS tracking systems that they have developed over long periods of time. As such, these systems will sometimes show a different result for your tracked kilometres than the Walking Stars app.
The Walking Stars app is continually being updated, but there will still be a limit to the accuracy of the GPS recording produced through it.
Fortunately, walkers who use wearable devices (excluding Strava) can link their devices to the Walking Stars app to make use of their advanced systems. For instructions on linking your device, see How Do I Connect My Wearable Device To The Walking Stars App?
To get the most out of the app, ensure that:
- Your smartphone has the latest version of the Walking Stars app.
- Your battery is fully charged.
- Your phone is NOT in low power mode.
- Your GPS / location is turned on.
- Your location settings for the app are on, and set to ‘always allow’ to ensure your location can accurately track during your activity.
- You have created an account in the app by registering.
- You have entered your unique access code. This will be sent to all registered participants by email once the app launches in November.