Cancer Council Victoria is committed to introducing several measures to provide the safest possible event environment for our participants, volunteers, staff, spectators and the community for the 2021 event.
In line with the Victorian Government’s Covid-19 requirements, all participants (12 years and over) must be fully vaccinated or hold a medical exemption in order to participate in the physical event. Please ensure you have your proof of vaccination status or exemption saved to your phone when you check in to the event.
The health and safety of our participants, spectators, volunteers, and team members remains our main priority, and as such we will continue to closely monitor the COVID-19 (coronavirus) situation with stakeholders, local, state, federal authorities and DHHS.
Social distancing – we will have methods and procedures to ensure we all keep a safe distance (of 1.5m) including maximum participation numbers.
Hygiene procedures – we welcome you to have your own face coverings and hand sanitiser on the day but there will be lots of hand sanitiser provided by Cancer Council Victoria available on the day.
COVID-19 app – we encourage all participants to download and use the Australian Governments COVID-19 app on their device.
Covid Safety Officer - A COVID 19 Safety Officer will be appointed to monitor these measures and address any new COVID Safety challenges that may occur during the event.
Walking Stars App - If we are unable to hold the physical event due to government guidelines, we have a plan in place to go virtual! As part of the virtual event, you will have access to an incredible online community App. The Walking Stars App is free to all registered participants and keeps our walkers safely united while staying apart.
These measures include pre-event health screening of participants, additional contact tracing capabilities for participants and spectators, overflow areas for the start and finish lines to allow participants to socially distance, additional cleaning and sanitising of high touch point areas and hand sanitisation stations throughout the event sites.
In addition, there will be regular communication across email, website, and social channels, in the lead up to the event, event communication through signage, PA system announcements and support from event staff & volunteers.
This COVID-Safe Plan will ensure our staff and participants stay safe during the event.
Consumer Touch Points
Reduced customer touchpoints to minimise physical interaction between participants and event staff.
Additional cleaning and sanitisation of customer touch-points throughout the event area, including check-in areas, toilets, medal collection, payment collection points, and at aid stations and first Aid Station.
Hand sanitiser will be available for use throughout the event, including around high traffic areas in and around portable toilets. These will be refreshed by staff throughout the event.
Water fountains/Hydration units featuring bottle refill taps to make it easier for you to refill your drink bottle will be available in the Village. Many public water fountains around the city may be blocked off due to Coronavirus restrictions. Take a reusable water bottle filled with water when you are “out and about” on your walk.
Participants and spectators throughout the event site will be monitored both at the Village and The Pitstop to ensure the number of people within the event space are kept to acceptable levels at all times.
Lanes & Markers
Lanes will be provided at areas where participants tend to congregate, such as at check-in and Food court. Where lines are formed, distancing markers will be used to ensure safe distancing. Please pay attention to all signage and marking.
Contactless temperature checks may be conducted for everyone entering the event space in accordance with local government. A person with a body temperature reading of 38 degrees Celsius will not be permitted to enter the event site.
COVID-19 Declaration & QR Code Check In
Each participant shall be required to complete a declaration when checking in at the event that they are not currently infected by COVID-19 and have not had, or knowingly been in contact with, someone experiencing any of the following COVID-19 symptoms in the past 14 days:
- Shortness of breath or difficulty breathing.
- Muscle pain
- Sore throat
Declaration will be made with a QR code which will need to be completed on arrival before going through registration on a smartphone.
Walking Stars asks that you:
- Do not attend Walking Stars if you are feeling unwell. If you are feeling unwell or have Cold or Flu-like Symptoms, have attended a DHHS Exposure Site or are a close contact of someone who has been unwell and/or is currently being tested for Coronavirus. Follow the health advice regarding testing and isolating https://www.coronavirus.vic.gov.au/exposure-sites [A5]
- Use hand sanitiser prior to entering the Village Site.
- Practice social distancing (of 1.5m) at all times while at the event and try to avoid interactions in close spaces.
- If you need to cough, please do so using your arm and if you are feeling unwell at any point during the event, please notify one of our covid safety officers.
- We encourage you to carry a mask for whenever social distancing isn't possible.
- Do not share personal belongings (water bottle or Towel)
- All competitors and volunteers are encouraged to download the COVID Safe app.
- Bring proof of your COVID-19 vaccination certificate or medical exemption
- Attending the event? Make sure you are a registered participant and complete the QR code check-in.